I’m so excited to kick off the first post of my healthy living series, #getfitwithashleyj
Not only am I wanting to be more healthy physically, but also in all aspects of my life. Mornings are such an essential part of living a healthy lifestyle, and I thought that January would be a perfect time to make over how I do mornings. I have never been a morning person, ever. However, I do think that there is something special about starting your day off right, cup of coffee & bible in hand, preparing to tackle the day ahead. I hope to be able to give you some realistic advice, and maybe you will rethink how you approach your mornings.
The Night Before:
Believe it or not, preparing for a healthy morning actually starts the night before. There’s a certain “routine” that I like to follow before my head even hits the pillow.
- Set out your clothes for the next day – Have an early morning workout? Get your clothes, shoes and workout bag assembled so there is no excuse to be late. Need to be to work early? Getting your outfit together the night before frees up so much time for the next morning.
- Write your to-do list – I have to complete this step in order to fall asleep. This helps me so much by getting my stray thoughts/worries about the next day down on paper.
- Set your alarms – Yes alarms as in more than one. I used to be the person that woke up after the first alarm, but marriage has changed that for me. Not passing the blame or anything but they do say that some of your spouse’s habits can rub off on you 😉
The Morning Of:
- Coffee – The first thing I do in the morning is make my coffee. I just can’t do mornings without it. I know to be healthier, you need to drink water before your coffee but I just can’t bring myself to do it. Any advice, friends?
- Resist the social media temptation – This one is a struggle for me. I seriously need to be more accountable with this one. On the mornings that I’ve successfully cut out social media, it has immensely improved my focus for the day. Let’s do this one together, sister! Who’s with me?
- Breakfast & Devotionals – These two go hand in hand for me. I’m just not the kind of person that can skimp on breakfast, and honestly it’s not good for you if you do. The reason why I do my devos while I eat is because I know that I’m going to eat breakfast no matter what. By doing my devotions at the same time, I know that I’m going to get my day started off right.
- Quickly tidy up – This is not the time to deep clean your place. This is the time to make your bed (trust me, it makes a difference), pick up any stray laundry on the floor, and put your dishes in the dishwasher. Having a tidier living space definitely helps clear your mind for the day.
- Get moving – Working out in the morning is definitely a game-changer. No, it’s not for everyone but you can make yourself a morning workout person. I love that working out in the morning hours ensures that I’m going to get my workout in. Knowing that I go my exercise in for the day instantly gives me a peace of mind for the day ahead.
By giving you these tips, I’m by no means saying that every morning is perfect for me. I still mess up, get lazy, or press snooze too many times. The most important thing to remember when trying to life a healthy lifestyle is that every day is a new day. Every morning is an opportunity to make yourself healthier all across the board. Health isn’t solely based on the number on the scale, it’s so much more than that. I hope that my tips inspire you to make 2016 your year to be the healthiest version of yourself! Let’s ditch the typical New Year’s resolutions and make lifestyle changes that stick.
What is an essential part of your morning routine?
Instagram // lovealwaysashleyj
Pinterest // Love Always, Ashley J