2017 || The Year of Less

Hey friends! With the new year in full swing, I wanted to share my word for this year: less. I don’t believe in resolutions, but I’m a firm believer in being intentional about the new year. To be honest, I spent most of 2016 running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I was wrapped up in so many things, and more often than not didn’t even bother to think if they lined up with what God wanted for me.

For 2017 I’ve landed on the concept of less. I spent the majority of last year chasing a “more” type of lifestyle that left me frazzled and exhausted. More plans, more hours, more clothes, more sweets, more responsibilities, more to-do lists, more of things that never truly mattered.

My husband and I spent the first few days of the new year getting rid of things we didn’t need. Together we cleaned out of closets, cabinets, and even under our bed, and came up with bags of stuff to donate to people who truly need those things. We incorporated the concept of “less” and within a few days, I was already happier than a year of “more” ever made me. We’re definitely still have more to get rid of, but overall we’re trying to embrace the less is more mentality. I’m trying to pair down and simplify my wardrobe, and it’s been such a freeing experience! I definitely plan on covering this in later posts.

So many changes are happening right now, and they are honestly for the better. I hope to provide encouragement and practical style tips for my posts in 2017. I still plan on collaborating with some companies and small businesses that I fully believe in and love. As always, I’ll never promote something that I feel doesn’t align with what I believe this blog should be about. I’m really excited for what this year has in store Love Always Ashley J, and I’m so thankful for every single person that takes the time to read my posts!

What word/intentions have you set forth for the new year?

14 Responses to 2017 || The Year of Less

1. urbantutu says:

I love “the year of less” idea. Good on you and best of luck.

Thank you so much! I’ve still got a ways to go but I’m loving it so far. Hope your new year is off to a great start 🙂

2. Well done on picking “less” as your word of the year. it
    I’m a big believer in only buying things that I actually need.

I’m going to try and be kinder this year. Kinder to others, and kinder to myself.

Thank you so much! It’s so freeing when you only have items that you really need and love. I’m in progress of heading towards a capsule wardrobe which is so exciting!
      Being kind is such a great goal! I hope that your new year is going well so far 🙂

3. Oh I love this so much! I can absolute relate. I feel like much of 2016 was the same for me! Less is so much more freeing. You are an inspiration! <3

Thank you so much Lauren! It’s amazing what happens when you start to be content with what you have opposed to wanting more. It’s definitely still a work in progress for me but I’m excited for what this year of less has in store 🙂 xo

We are on the same page with the less mentality. I want to work on tackling my debt and stop buying stuff I don’t need. I love makeup and fashion, but I want to focus on putting less value on “stuff.” I cleaned out my closet over the weekend too. I love getting rid of things!

5. lovealwaysashleyj says:

I’m so happy we can relate! It’s so hard when makeup and fashion is your hobby- getting myself to quit shopping has been the hardest part, but I’m definitely making progress. Cleaning out my closet is therapeutic for me! It’s amazing how many outfits you can make from the basics. So happy we can support each other on this! xo

6. Hayle says:

Really enjoyed reading this article Ashley!! I’m in the process of decluttering my apartment and trying to live with less as well! Cheers 🙂

Hayle

That is so exciting! I’m so happy that you liked this post. I hope you have a great rest of your week! 🙂

7. Super great post! My resolution has been to get rid of junk. I prefer the way you say it though, your word for the year is less. So smart. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Nicole! That is such a great resolution to have. I have a few posts in the works on that subject so definitely stay posted 🙂 Hope you have a great rest of your week!

8. Gaby says:

Having less and not accumulating things I don’t need really has been liberating for me too(: