It’s finally starting to feel like fall.. amiright?! With fall always comes a virus. The type of virus that makes us want to buy all the fall clothes. Do you know what I’m talking about? This past year I’ve tried my best to really be intentional about my purchases. But in all seriousness, I haven’t been perfect when it comes to a minimalist wardrobe. Yes I got rid of 70% of my closet, purchased a few key items, and still feel frustrated sometimes. I get in creative funks where I don’t like anything in my closet and can’t make an outfit for the life of me. I have days where I walk past madewell and come out with an item that I didn’t even know I needed. We ALL have those days. Today I want to share THREE questions that I ask myself before I purchase an item for my wardrobe. I’m no means an expert at minimalism or fashion but these three concepts have really helped me in my journey to an intentional closet.
Oh and by the way, this is my dog baby TEDDY! I’m seriously the craziest dog mom ever but don’t mind that at all. Anyways on to my three questions:
- Does this fit with my realistic everyday life?
- Guys this one is huge. Think about your lifestyle, work, daily activities. Does this item fit into most if not all these categories?
- Do I have 2-3 outfit options in my head that I could wear this piece with?
- With having a smaller closet, I usually have a pretty good idea of the pieces that I have already. I try to roughly think of a few outfit options that I could pair the potential addition to my closet with. If no ideas come to mind, then I usually don’t move forward with the purchase.
- Do I have anything in my wardrobe that’s similar?
- This one is easier said than done at times. I tend to like the same style of clothes so I find myself getting stuck on this step! Although it’s always best to pass when you already have a similar piece in your closet.
Have a great weekend!